FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Latest Financial Status and Future Outlook of SMB Finance PLC
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 11:15 pm

» Latest Financial Status and Future Outlook of Overseas Realty PLC
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 11:00 pm

» Latest Financial Status and Future Outlook of Merchant Bank of Sri Lanka & Finance PLC
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» McDonald’s අපේ නෙමෙයි අපේ බෝස්ගේ – අබාන්ස් කියයි
by ChooBoy Yesterday at 10:19 am

» AI Assistance for Stock Market Research and Analysis
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 7:12 am

» Comparative Analysis of the Insurance Sector
by God Father Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:46 pm

» Sri Lanka: Why Pay Exorbitant Taxes?
by ChatGPT Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:52 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by K.R Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:15 pm

» CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC (CIND.N0000)
by D.G.Dayaratne Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:11 am

» SIYAPATHA FINANACE PLC (SLFL.N0000)
by ChatGPT Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:58 am

» FINANCE AND LEASING SECTOR
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:45 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:36 am

» CIC HOLDINGS PLC (CIC.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:18 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:15 am

» First Capital Holdings PLC: Current Financial performance and future outlook
by God Father Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:58 pm

» LankaBizz: Sri Lanka's First ever Artificially Intelligent (AI) Business and Research Assistant
by God Father Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:27 am

» HOTEL AND TRAVEL SECTOR
by ErangaDS Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:22 am

» CIC Holdings Good Times Ahead
by ashan silva Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 am

» EPF Fund keep eye on low P/E Shares
by K.R Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:45 am

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Hawk Eye Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:37 am

» Ceylon cold stores
by Hawk Eye Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:25 am

» Asha securities Provide buy signal for CIC
by ddrperera Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:10 am

» CSE ready for another Downtrend?
by D.G.Dayaratne Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:24 am

» LankaLAW Forum : Sri Lanka’s #1 Discussion Platform for Legal Questions and Answers
by blindhog Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:14 am

» Sri Lanka poised to benefit from demand surge for ‘non-China origin’ graphite
by samaritan Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:31 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

JANASHAKTHI INSURANCE COMPANY PLC (JINS.N0000)

+98
ThilinaM
lokka1
player
nosf76677
Ruwan925
PDH
Chanaka303
nuwanmja
KOLAA
Capton KIng Cool
prabath
wisdom79
Winner123
cheetah
DS Wijesinghe
Ranil Ranasinghe
Prasanna Hw
Agape
zenobia
EquityChamp
prasa2004
samaritan
glad
MoneyLover
gayanath1983
fireshelter
bandulawee
epicinvestor
CARACALLA
RPPA
Nuwan Samarawickrama
m2_yapa
Eng Krishantha
cse.lk
Top Trader
kethees
Meman
CSE.SAS
pathfinder
Jeremy
Jiggysaurus
Monster
VALUEPICK
rmark
Malika1990
girihell
troy
Fresher
seek
traderathome
yellow knife
Antonym
swan03
Rajaraam
stumpy
smallville
lemuria
Light of Hope
K.Haputantri
Chinwi
Backstage
monash
greedy
sriranga
Kithsiri
raa
anubis
Jana1
hawklk
godfreydayan
CSE Today
Nigel.Machado
Intrinsic
UKboy
2011_NewComer
san1985
JennyFunny
thighrokker
is
opfdo
RockStock
jake
smalta
TortoizePlus
uditha9
banarahu
SL.Market
Jayasri
dr aruna
mono
Rocky
econ
KDS
Slstock
bliss
Gaja
dhamm
BullionStock
102 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 10]

CSE Today

Manager - Equity Analytics

UKboy wrote:
econ wrote:I think all the janashakthi group companies (CSEC,JINS,CFVF) are still undervalued compare with other companies in the financial sector.

That is a well known factor in the market for years..!!
How higher their prices go up eventually will come back more or less to the same level

UK BOY you have the most sensible view on these stock...! Very Happy

godfreydayan

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

why JINS .N0000 ( janashakthi insurance) not moving even the fundamentals are strong..
even the they pay a very good dividend..

hawklk

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

That is the problem with CSE. Fundamental don't move....

Jana1

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Not pbm with CSE, Pbm with director, Schaffer.. Matser mind behind CFVF group..That s less volatile share even during up-trend also

anubis

JINS:

Total number of shares as at 06/30/2011: 363,000,132

Profits for the 6 months ending 31/12/2010: 624,910,000 EPS = 1.71
Profits for 6 months ending 06/30/2011: 218,115,000 EPS = 0.60 (the quarterly report says 0.77 but I don't know how they got it).

If you look at the two statements you can see that for the 6 months ending 31/12/2010, they have a 200Mil difference in "Other revenue" section (income statement). Let's be conservative and estimate an EPS of 0.60 for the next 6 months (ending 31/12/2011) - I suppose they'll publish this report soon.

So, our estimated EPS for the year ending 31/12/2011 is 1.2 per share. So, this share has a P/E around 10 for a price around 12 Rs.

The question is, is it a good P/E compared to other financial institutions / banks? analyse COMB.X, HNB.X, SAMP.N and see for yourself. Also compare dividends. A share can be "fundamental" (i.e not JUNK) but that doesn't mean its share price is always justified.

My personal opinion is JINS.N is an OK share for around 12 rupees (I already hold some quantity around 11.50 I think). But I can't say for sure that this share will not fall further (there are banks with much lower P/E values - this share "could" correct more - I don't know).

Cheers!

UPDATE: SOME ISSUES WITH THIS POST HAS BEEN CORRECTED BELOW (READ THE WHOLE DISCUSSION)

Last edited by anubis on Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

raa

I'm more worried about their ability to keep paying dividends. I collected some between LKR 10.9 - 13.00 as part of dividend earning long term portfolio. At LKR 11.00, a LKR 1.00 dividend is a 9% yield.

Kithsiri

Kithsiri
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Is this worth (less than 12) as a short term investment?

anubis

Argh!

I've compared an insurance company against financial institutions / banks. I think that is wrong. I have JINS and banks on the same watch list, this is what lead to this mistake.

In any case, the rest of the post holds.

Cheers!

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

anubis wrote:JINS:

Profits for 6 months ending 06/30/2011: 218,115,000 EPS = 0.60 (the quarterly report says 0.77 but I don't know how they got it).

If you look at the two statements you can see that for the 6 months ending 31/12/2010, they have a 200Mil difference in "Other revenue" section (income statement). Let's be conservative and estimate an EPS of 0.60 for the next 6 months (ending 31/12/2011) - I suppose they'll publish this report soon.

So, our estimated EPS for the year ending 31/12/2011 is 1.2 per share. So, this share has a P/E around 10 for a price around 12 Rs.

The question is, is it a good P/E compared to other financial institutions / banks? analyse COMB.X, HNB.X, SAMP.N and see for yourself. Also compare dividends. A share can be "fundamental" (i.e not JUNK) but that doesn't mean its share price is always justified.

My personal opinion is JINS.N is an OK share for around 12 rupees (I already hold some quantity around 11.50 I think). But I can't say for sure that this share will not fall further (there are banks with much lower P/E values - this share "could" correct more - I don't know).

Cheers!

Thanks anubis.
Your price seems to be OK for short and medium term.
Only my worry regarding this share is the management.
We'll see.

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

anubis

@raa: an interesting question, have you analysed JINS.N dividend history against EPS values? I saw a research report in the research section about dividend histories of different listed companies: http://research.srilankaequity.com/t238-cse-quoted-company-s-dividend-history-updated-on-13-02-2012 (you need to re-register there).

May it's worth looking at JINS.N dividend history (if that's available in above report) and checking if they have been consistent.

Cheers!

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics

Cheers!

Anubis,
Their 2010 Year ending eps was 2.12. Usually for Insurance companies last quarter of the year earnings are higher than the previous quarters ( 6 Month up to June). I am not sure whether this year eps will drop as much as 1.2 . They already reported 0.77 eps for 2011 June . That means 6 month earning will be only Rs 0.43.

There is some investor sentiment issue due to owner family. CFVF and CSEC already had some issues . But JINS after an initial 2009 issue with the insurance board which was resolved quickly ( not a financial fraud) had so far been fraud free. I do not know whether there is any issue recently.

ANyway , jsut note the below facts

1) IPO price in 2008 was Rs 12. Now trading below IPO after 4 years!
2) I recall million of shares were traded when it ran over Rs 20.
3) In 2009 they paid RS 2 dividend. Afterward they have been paying RS 1 dividned. Dividend yield will be one of the highest at CSE for this share if they pay Rs 1 again and your share average is around Rs 12.

Last edited by slstock on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

anubis

@slstock: thank you very much for this valuable info! Smile

Experience matters!!! Cool

We'll see how it'll go down this year, hoping for the best!!! Basketball

(PS: I think you meant "Their 2010* Year ending eps was 2.12)

Cheers!

greedy

greedy

Cheers!

You have got the number wrong... it is not 218,115,000 it is 280,115,000... Refer quarterly accounts!

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

Dividend Paid after the IPO.
From their annual Report.
JANASHAKTHI INSURANCE COMPANY PLC (JINS.N0000) - Page 3 Jin10

Interim Dividend announced in 2011.(May be that will be Final Dividend for 2011)

JANASHAKTHI INSURANCE COMPANY PLC (JINS.N0000) - Page 3 Jin210

Last edited by sriranga on Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

anubis

@greedy: many thanks for correcting this!

To be honest I was looking all over the place for what mistake I have made. I maintain separate spread-sheets for analysis and it seems I have entered the wrong number when populating the sheet (sadly, it's a manual process atm).

So, re-estimated EPS = 0.77 * 2 = 1.54

And according to slstock this could be even higher. So, it "looks" this share is undervalued at the moment. Again, no promises, it could go either ways - that's the nature.

Anyway, let's wait and see Basketball

Cheers!

raa

According to the CSE website..

Dividends were post IPO
4Q2008 - 0.50
4Q2009 - 2.00
1Q2010 - 1.00
1Q2011 - 1.00
1Q2012 - ?.??

So if one bought a 1,000 shares at IPO @ 12.00 and still held till today, they'd still be up because they have already received LKR 4,500.00 as dividends. That is a 9% return per year!!

If they sold at LKR 20.00 last year, then profit would be LKR 4,500 + LKR 8,000 = LKR 12,500.

I'm happy if i can get 9% a year on a share until I wait for the share price to run to LKR 24.00 and sell out. That is my plan.

anubis

Continuing from sriranga's post on dividends:

[2010]
Profits = 770,348,000
EPS = 2.12
Dividend = 1

[2011] (so far)
Profits = 280,115,000
EPS = 0.77

Since they have given 1Rs dividend for 2011 already, I'd expect the EPS for 2011 to be around the same levels as in 2010 (at the least). In order to get that much EPS, their profits should be around (770,348,000 - 280,115,000) 490,233,000 for the last 6 months ended 31/12/2011. And the corresponding EPS for that period would be (490,233,000 / 363,000,132) 1.35

Note that I have assumed that the share count has remained constant throughout 2010 - 2011 (which i believe is the case - according to reports).

So, If they report an EPS of 1.35 or above in their next report (for the 6 months ending 31/12/2011), we can say the company is on track! Basketball

Or is this not a correct judgement? I'm not confident in the above way of reasoning (bit of a newbie still). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers!

Last edited by anubis on Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

greedy

greedy

Investment portfolio of JINS mainly consist of treasury bills and treasury bonds. During stock market boom and lower interest rates in 2010 and 2011, JINS's was not on a good side. Because they did not benefit from the stock market boom. But now the opposite happening in 2012! So... will that benefit the company in some way?

I DO NOT HOLD JINS SHARES.

Slstock

Slstock

anubis wrote:Continuing from sriranga's post on dividends:

[2010]
Profits = 770,348,000
EPS = 2.12
Dividend = 1

[2011] (so far)
Profits = 280,115,000
EPS = 0.77

Since they have given 1Rs dividend for 2011 already, I'd expect the EPS for 2011 to be around the same levels as in 2010 (at the least). In order to get that much EPS, their profits should be around (770,348,000 - 280,115,000) 490,233,000 for the last 6 months ended 31/12/2011. And the corresponding EPS for that period would be (490,233,000 / 363,000,132) 1.35

Note that I have assumed that the share count has remained constant throughout 2010 - 2011 (which i believe is the case - according to reports).

So, If they report an EPS of 1.35 or above in their next report, we can say the company is on track! Basketball

Or is this a not correct judgement? I'm not confident in the above way of reasoning (bit of a newbie still). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers!

Ofcourse if we they can show YoY growth that will be good. SO if they beat 2010 eps of 2.12 it will be good. Even oif they fall a bit short I guess they could give a Rs 1 Dividend. ( presuming nothing drastic happened within the last 6 months)

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

Please see the following detail.
From that you can judge their past performance to certain extend.

JANASHAKTHI INSURANCE COMPANY PLC (JINS.N0000) - Page 3 Jin310

anubis

@sriranga: I used your summary to calculate the profits for each year (EPS * NO.SHARES) and then divided those profits from the current share count to get an effective EPS:
https://2img.net/h/oi43.tinypic.com/jafchw.png

As you can see, their EPS has been growing for last 3 years. Although before 2008 we can't see an exact pattern.

@admins: if you can please kindly embed that image into this post itself. For some reason embedding images doesn't work on chrome.

Cheers!

JANASHAKTHI INSURANCE COMPANY PLC (JINS.N0000) - Page 3 Anu10

Done Anubis.
Thanks for your hardwork.

anubis

@sriranga: thank you too, I've learned a lot from your posts Cool

Cheers!

raa

Even if their EPS reduces, they have little forecasted expenditure in terms of cap ex and working capital requirements.

The data Anubis and Sriranga have displayed is really helpful. +reps...

You can see JINS maturing and normalising as a company in the last two years... trend volatility is less and growth prospects seem to be maturing or slowing down to an acceptable level.. I like to see these trends in choosing a safe company to invest.

The only thing missing is data for recurring income and recurring EPS which should give a clearer picture of the core business performance.

anubis

Just out of curiosity I wanted to verify slstock's claim on second quarter results being much higher than the first. I only have reports for last two years (from http://www.cse.lk/companiesprofile/incomestatement.htm?id=941&symbol=JINS.N0000), and this is how it looks:

EPS for 6 months ending 30/06/2009: 0.73
EPS for 6 months ending 31/12/2009: 1.08 (change is 147%)

EPS for 6 months ending 30/06/2010: 0.40
EPS for 6 months ending 31/12/2010: 1.72 (change is 430%)

EPS for 6 months ending 30/06/2011: 0.77
EPS for 6 months ending 31/12/2011: ?? (change is ??%)

So, it seems slstock's claim is true. We'll have to wait and see how it'll work this year Basketball

Cheers!

greedy

greedy

More details of their income statement..... JINS income comes from two areas

1) Underwriting Results
2) Other Income (Mainly from their investments)

Lets see underwriting results for last four half years and their corresponding prior periods...

30/06/2011=====>LKR506,178k / LKR277,604K
31/12/2010=====>LKR603,066K / LKR601,802K
30/06/2010=====>LKR277,604K / LKR539,511K
21/12/2009=====>LKR391,651K / LKR366,864K

Based on this we can expect a better underwrtiting results for the six months ended 31/12/2011

Other Income for last four half years and corresponding prior periods.....

30/06/2011=====>LKR558,661k / LKR559,332K
31/12/2010=====>LKR707,066K / LKR522,673K
30/06/2010=====>LKR559,332K / LKR498,653K
21/12/2009=====>LKR518,422K / LKR544,756K

Net Profit for last four half years and corresponding prior periods.....

30/06/2011=====>LKR280,115k / LKR145,438KK
31/12/2010=====>LKR624,910K / LKR391,651K
30/06/2010=====>LKR145,438K / LKR265,622KK
21/12/2009=====>LKR391,651K / LKR366,864K

If you go through last year annual report, you will find JINS had a realised investment gain of LKR288mn ( This item is from sale of investments). This is most probably an one off item. Bacause if we look at 2009 and 2008 annual reports, the amount is immaterial

Net realised gains as per annual reports.

2010 AR =====> LKR288,709K
2009 AR =====> LKR3,340K
2008 AR =====> LKR7,101K
2007 AR =====> LKR (2,399K)

We could expect a drop in other income compared to previous year unless JINS has a similar gain this year too. But it little unlikely.

There is a possibility that higher underwriting results may offset this drop in other income!

Last edited by greedy on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

greedy

greedy

My apologies Anubis.... while I was writing a reply you have posted a reply. Some of the information may have repeated in my reply.

monash

monash

I'm hearing some people claiming in the posts regarding JINS that director of the company Mr. Shafter purposely not allowing to appreciate share price of JINS which i see it as a baseless statement. Usually directors of the companies wants to appreciate the share price. Appreciate your views regarding this.. Smile

anubis

@greedy: no worries, many thanks for your analysis! Smile

Backstage

Backstage

Last year, there was a big increase in new car sales. That plus higher interest rates scenario and so close to dividend pay out , looks very attractive to me.

I am averaging on a share for the first time. Dollar averaging that I learned from a Sriranga post.

Thanks for all the above post. Very interesting to lay folk, like me.

Guys (gender neutral), wish me and JINS luck

Chinwi

Chinwi
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

greedy wrote:Investment portfolio of JINS mainly consist of treasury bills and treasury bonds. During stock market boom and lower interest rates in 2010 and 2011, JINS's was not on a good side. Because they did not benefit from the stock market boom. But now the opposite happening in 2012! So... will that benefit the company in some way?

This is a very good and clever observation / understanding.
This story is same for others in the same group. CFVF, CSEC.
I think we all have knowledge to guess the outcome.

Can you remember what and how CFVF earned during 2009 ? Not from falling shares but from TB etc.

Mr. Shafter was very adamant in this case. When the shareholders pushed him last year - 2010 AGM - to invest billions they had with CFVF in shares to get better earnings in 2011/12 Twisted Evil he (with his sister & others) never showed any intention to changed his stand . He refused and continued keeping the billions in TBs and other instruments.
I think they are going to reap the benefits this time too.

Note : I have a mixture of all 3 , JINS+CFVF+CSEC in portfolios managed by me ~ 100,000.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum