FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by God Father Yesterday at 11:23 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by bkasun Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:48 pm

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

» ASPI: Undoing GR/Covid19!
by DeepFreakingValue Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 am

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stock Market Entertainment

+58
nuwanmja
Junior investor
kasun_gimhana
KavinduTM
ThilinaM
cechjozef36
Mohamed Siraj
agrawalmadhuri154
TraderCSE
Senior Citizen
Quibit
Sstar
Jeremy
Sidath
NZ BOY
rainmaker
The Alchemist
wiki
D.G.Dayaratne
Hanoifortune
Chinwi
bigcat
csetrader
Whitebull
wsaman
UKboy
greedy
FXX
Xmen
Backstage
greedy007
rmark
Redbulls
CSE.SAS
K.Haputantri
ashoka1966
Academic
kaka
ddmax
Kumar
bakapandithaya
Great.Stocks
Kithsiri
rijayasooriya
sas
2011_NewComer
marketleader
sriranga
investor.sl
kumaramcr
yoyo
Slstock
madeinsrilanka
PGNN
sawdanjema
Roboticfx
kavi84
SL.Market
62 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Go down  Message [Page 18 of 22]

426Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:45 pm

SL.Market

Vice President - Equity Analytics

No:338

How to recognize whether your PC is female or male?
Is your computer “male” or “female”?

1. Open Notepad

2. Type the following line in notepad:

CreateObject("SAPI.SpVoice").Speak"I love you"

3. Save file as computer_gender.vbs

4. Run the file. . .

If you hear a male voice, your pc is a boy ...
If you hear a female voice, your pc is a girl ...

427Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:59 pm

D.G.Dayaratne

Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 PdfMarana_Danweemak_.pdf
140K View Download

428Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:52 pm

SL.Market

No:340

Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 55510

429Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:00 am

SL.Market

No:341

Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 12310

430Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:56 pm

SL.Market

No:342

Classic Exercises on Lateral Thinking

Questions :

1).There is a man who lives on the top floor of a very tall building. Everyday he gets the elevator down to the ground floor to leave the building to go to work. Upon returning from work though, he can only travel half way up in the lift and has to walk the rest of the way unless it's raining! Why?

2).A man and his son are in a car accident. The father dies on the scene, but the child is rushed to the hospital. When he arrives the surgeon says, "I can't operate on this boy, he is my son!" How can this be?

3).A man is wearing black. Black shoes, socks, trousers, coat, gloves and ski mask. He is walking down a back street with all the street lamps off. A black car is coming towards him with its light off but somehow manages to stop in time. How did the driver see the man?

Solutions :

1). The man is very, very short and can only reach halfway up the elevator buttons. However, if it is raining then he will have his umbrella with him and can press the higher buttons with it.
2). The surgeon was his mother.
3). It was day time.

431Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:43 pm

SL.Market

SL.Market

No:343

Questions :

4).One day Kerry celebrated her birthday. Two days later her older twin brother, Terry, celebrated his birthday. How?

5).Why is it better to have round manhole covers than square ones?

6).A man went to a party and drank some of the punch. He then left early. Everyone else at the party who drank the punch subsequently died of poisoning. Why did the man not die?

Solutions :

4). At the time she went into labor, the mother of the twins was traveling by ship. The older twin, Terry, was born first early on March 1st. The ship then crossed a time zone and Kerry, the younger twin, was born on February the 28th. Therefore, the younger twin celebrates her birthday two days before her older brother.
5). A square manhole cover can be turned and dropped down the diagonal of the manhole. A round manhole cannot be dropped down the manhole. So for safety and practicality, all manhole covers should be round.
6). The poison in the punch came from the ice cubes. When the man drank the punch, the ice was fully frozen. Gradually it melted, poisoning the punch.

Alternate Solutions :

4. Because one of them did not necessarily celebrate their birthday on the day they were born, but celebrated later or earlier. Much simpler than having Mom giving birth while crossing the International Date Line and tossing in a Leap Year and the like. Needlessly complicated.

6. Because he was the one who put the poison in the punch. Of course he wouldn't drink any *after* he poisoned it. Who goes to the effort of making poison ice cubes, except Bond villains and those bad guys in the "Encyclopedia Brown" mystery stories we read in elementary school?

8. Because they were adopted. It's a coincidence they were born on the same exact day. OK, so Occam's Razor could be applied equally to both solutions.

432Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:18 pm

D.G.Dayaratne

Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Pdf
129K View Download

Last edited by D.G.Dayaratne on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)

433Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:59 pm

wiki

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL5SE0MQWjQ

434Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:28 am

D.G.Dayaratne

A few " Shots " before watching will definitely help

www.youtube.com/embed/v_w0ZjhSMm0?feature=player

435Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Spiral Illusion ! Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:44 am

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

Stare at the centre of the spinning spiral for about 30 seconds, then look at something else, like at your hand on the mouse. Freaking !

It is said that Socrates discovered this effect while staring at a waterfall two thousand years ago

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

436Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:11 pm

The Alchemist

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=345716735527835&set=a.156054544494056.25583.156006677832176&type=1&ref=nf

437Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Philosophizing From A Man's Perspective Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:16 pm

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

When a man steals your wife, there is no better revenge than to let him keep her.
David Bissonette

After marriage, husband and wife become two sides of a coin; they just can't face each other, but still they stay together.
Sacha Guitry

By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher.
Socrates

Woman inspires us to great things, and prevents us from achieving them.
Anonymous

The great question... which I have not been able to answer... is, "What does a woman want?"
Dumas

I had some words with my wife, and she had some paragraphs with me.
Sigmund Freud

'Some people ask the secret of our long marriage. We take time to go to a restaurant two times a week. A little candlelight, dinner, soft music and dancing. She goes Tuesdays, I go Fridays.'
Anonymous

'There's a way of transferring funds that is even faster than electronic banking. It's called marriage.'
Sam Kinison

'I've had bad luck with both my wives.
The first one left me, and the second one didn't.'
James Holt McGavra

Two secrets to keep your marriage brimming
1. Whenever you're wrong, admit it,
2. Whenever you're right, shut up.
Patrick Murra

The most effective way to remember your wife's birthday is to forget it once....
Nash

You know what I did before I married?
Anything I wanted to.
Anonymous

My wife and I were happy for twenty years.
Then we met.
Henny Youngman

A good wife always forgives her husband when she's wrong.
Rodney Dangerfield

A man inserted an 'ad' in the classifieds: 'Wife wanted'.. Next day he received a hundred letters.
They all said the same thing: 'You can have mine.'
Anonymous

First Guy (proudly): 'My wife's an angel!'
Second Guy: 'You're lucky, mine's still alive.'
Anonymous
Source: http://wallstreetjackass.typepad.com

438Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Engineers wedding Rings Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:17 pm

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Wedd10

439Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:39 am

SL.Market

SL.Market

No:348

Questions :

7). A man died and went to Heaven. There were thousands of other people there. They were all naked and all looked as they did at the age of 21. He looked around to see if there was anyone he recognized. He saw a couple and he knew immediately that they were Adam and Eve. How did he know?
8. A woman had two sons who were born on the same hour of the same day of the same year. But they were not twins. How could this be so?
9). A man walks into a bar and asks the barman for a glass of water. The barman pulls out a gun and points it at the man. The man says 'Thank you' and walks out. why?

Solutions :

7). He recognized Adam and Eve as the only people without navels. Because they were not born of women, they had never had umbilical cords and therefore they never had navels.
8. They were two of a set of triplets (or quadruplets, etc.).
9). The man had hiccups. The barman recognized this from his speech and drew the gun in order to give him a shock. It worked and cured the hiccups--so the man no longer needed the water.

440Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty A Modern Version of "Who's On First ?" Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:01 am

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

A Modern, Humorous Version of "Who's On First?"

COSTELLO CALLS TO BUY A COMPUTER FROM ABBOTT

ABBOTT: Super Duper computer store. Can I help you?

COSTELLO: Thanks. I'm setting up an office in my den and I'm thinking about buying a computer.

ABBOTT: Mac?

COSTELLO: No, the name's Lou.

ABBOTT: Your computer?

COSTELLO: I don't own a computer. I wan t to buy one.

ABBOTT: Mac?

COSTELLO: I told you, my name's Lou.

ABBOTT: What about Windows?

COSTELLO: Why? Will it get stuffy in here?

ABBOTT: Do you want a computer with Windows?

COSTELLO: I don't know. What will I see when I look at the windows?

ABBOTT: Wallpaper.

COSTELLO: Never mind the windows. I need a computer and software.

ABBOTT: Software for Windows?

COSTELLO: No. On the computer! I need something I can use to write proposals, track expenses and run my business. What do you have?

ABBOTT: Office.

COSTELLO: Yeah, for my office. Can you recommend anything?

ABBOTT: I just did.

COSTELLO: You just did what?

ABBOTT: Recommend something.

COSTELLO: You recommended something?

ABBOTT: Yes.

COSTELLO: For my office?

ABBOTT: Yes.

COSTELLO: OK, what did you recommend for my office?

ABBOTT: Office.

COSTELLO: Yes, for my office!

ABBOTT: I recommend Office with Windows.

COSTELLO: I already have an office with windows! OK, let's just say I'm sitting at my computer and I want to type a proposal. What do I need?

ABBOTT: Word.

COSTELLO: What word?

ABBOTT: Word in Office.

COSTELLO: The only word in office is office.

ABBOTT: The Word in Office for Windows.

COSTELLO: Which word in office for windows?

ABBOTT: The Word you get when you click the blue 'W'.

COSTELLO: I'm going to click your blue 'w' if you don't start with some straight answers. What about financial bookkeeping? You have anything I can track my money with?

ABBOTT: Money.

COSTELLO: That's right. What do you have?

COSTELLO: I need money to track my money?

ABBOTT: It comes bundled with your computer.

COSTELLO: What's bundled with my computer?

COSTELLO: Money comes with my computer?

ABBOTT: Yes. No extra charge.

COSTELLO: I get a bundle of money with my computer? How much?

ABBOTT: One copy.

COSTELLO: Isn't it illegal to copy money?

ABBOTT: Microsoft gave us a license to copy Money.

COSTELLO: They can give you a license to copy money?

ABBOTT: Why not? THEY OWN IT!

(A few days later)

ABBOTT: Super Duper computer store. Can I help you?

COSTELLO: How do I turn my computer off?

ABBOTT: Click on 'START'.............
Source:http://moneyover55.about.com

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

A little old lady went into the Bank of Canada one day carrying a bag of money. She insisted that she must speak with the president of the bank to open a savings account because, "It's a lot of money!"

After much hemming and hawing, the bank staff finally ushered her into the president's office(the customer is always right!)

The bank president then asked her how much she would like to deposit. She replied, "$165,000!" and dumped the cash out of her bag onto his desk.

The president was of course curious as to how she came by all this cash, so he asked her, "Ma'am, I'm surprised you're carrying so much cash around. Where did you get this money?"

The old lady replied, "I make bets."

The president then asked, "Bets? What kind of bets?"

The old woman said, "Well, for example, I'll bet you $25,000 that your balls are square."

"Ha!" laughed the president, "That's a stupid bet. You can never win that kind of bet!"

The old lady challenged, "So, would you like to take my bet?"

"Sure," said the president, I'll bet $25,000 that my balls are not square!"

The little old lady then said, "Okay, but since there is a lot of money involved, may I bring my lawyer with me tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. as a witness?"

"Sure!" replied the confident president.

That night, the president got very nervous about the bet and spent a long time in front of a mirror checking his balls, turning from side to side, again and again. He thoroughly checked them out until he was sure there was absolutely no way his balls were square and that he would win the bet.

The next morning, at precisely 10:00 am, the little old lady appeared with her lawyer at the president's office. She introduced the lawyer to the president and repeated the bet: "$25,000 says the president's balls are square!"

The president agreed with the bet again and the old lady asked him to drop his pants so they could all see.

The president did.

The little old lady peered closely at his balls and then asked if she could feel them.

"Well, Okay," said the president, "$25,000 is a lot of money, so I guess you should be absolutely sure."

Just then, he noticed that the lawyer was quietly banging his head against the wall.

The President asked the old lady, "What the hell's the matter with your lawyer?"

She replied, "Nothing, except I bet him $100,000 that at 10:00 a.m. today, I'd have The Bank of Canada's president's balls in my hand."
http://moneyover55.about.com

442Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:02 pm

SL.Market

SL.Market

No:351

443Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:18 pm

D.G.Dayaratne

We wiil have to open "MISERABLE SATISFACTION SPOT" Very Soon

There will be lot of items of this type

444Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:28 pm

D.G.Dayaratne

Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Html2noname.html
2K View Download

445Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:46 am

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics

DG

What is the content of the html you attached. . Is it safe to open?

D.G.Dayaratne wrote:
Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Html2noname.html
2K View Download

446Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:05 am

D.G.Dayaratne

slsotck
This is a email i received.

I opened it

Nothing happened

447Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty SriLankan A 380 Arrived ! Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:18 am

Chinwi

Chinwi
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

First Srilankan A 380 Arrived today .

First of two A 380s ordered by SriLankan landed this morning (at 10.15 a.m. 1-4-2013) at Katunayaka.
They say it will be flying daily from Mattala to Chennai to ease the congestion. .
Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 A_380_10

448Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:41 am

rainmaker

I thought the management agreement with Emirates was over. Interesting news drunken

----------- From an old newspaper article

SriLankan Airlines, which has been witnessing growth in load factors and route network post entering into a management contract with Emirates and going in for re-branding, has decided to renew the 10-year management contract that is due for expiry in March, 2008. Currently, negotiations are on between the two airlines and the contract is expected to be signed by April next year. Currently, Emirates has 40 per cent stake in the airline and while it has proposed to buy more stake, SriLankan Airlines is looking at increasing its own profitability. With a view to enhance its profits, the airline has proposed that it should be allowed to use two of the 50 Airbus A380, which will be delivered to Emirates by early 2009. SriLankan Airlines is planning to deploy these two aircraft on Indian routes.

"We will be signing the new management contract with Emirates once all the negotiations are finalised," Peter Hill, Chief Executive Officer, SriLankan Airlines, confirmed on the sidelines of a party held recently in Mumbai to celebrate the airline's achievement of 100 weekly flights to India.

449Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:36 pm

D.G.Dayaratne

Why Mattala airport in in Entertainment spot?

Air port is opened.No one can close it now

"BEDAGATHTHA BERE GAHANNA ONE"

Now we should try to utilize it economically

This not a Joke Very big amount of Public Funds

This forum should not consider it as a JOKE

450Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:29 am

SL.Market

SL.Market

No:353

Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 12311

451Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:15 pm

wiki

Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 48288110

452Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:00 am

Chinwi

Chinwi

ROCKET SCIENCE

The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number.

Why was that gauge used?

Because that's the way they built them in England, and English expatriates built the US Railroads.

Why did the English build them like that?

Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the pre-railroad tramways, and that's the gauge they used.

Why did "they" use that gauge then?

Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they used for building wagons, which used that wheel spacing.

Okay! Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing?

Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break on some of the old, long distance roads in England, because that's the spacing of the wheel ruts.

So who built those old rutted roads?

Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (and England) for their legions. The roads have been used ever since.

And the ruts in the roads?

Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match for fear of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome, they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing.

The United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for! an Imperial Roman war chariot. And bureaucracies live forever.

So the next time you are handed a spec and told we have always done it that way and wonder what horse's ass came up with that, you may be exactly right, because the Imperial Roman war chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the back ends of two war horses.

Now the twist to the story...

When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad (NO YOU CAN NEVER SEE IT AGAIN!), there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah. The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site.

The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains. The SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds.

So, a major Space Shuttle design feature of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's ass.

And you thought being a horse's ass wasn't important.

( Source: from an old magazine . Origin unknown)

453Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:35 am

Chinwi

Chinwi

ස්පේස් ශටල් එකේ රොකට් වල පළල අශ්වයින් ඩිසයින් කරන විට - ලංකාවේ මාර්ග සැලසුම් කලේ හරක් !

පුරාණ ලංකාවේ ගම් අතර භාණ්ඩ ප්‍රවාහනය සඳහා යොදා ගැනුනේ තවලම් ය. ගවයන්ගේ පිට උඩ බඩු පොදි බැඳ එක පේලියට දක්කාගෙන යන ලදී.
මේ කාලයේ නිසි ලෙස නියමිත ස්ථාන වලින් සාදන ලද පාරවල් නොතිබූ අතර කැලෑ මන්ඩි අතරින් සැතපුම් ගණන් ගවයින් දැක්කිමට සිදුවිය.
වැසි කාලයට පසු වැවෙන කැලැව නිසා අඩි පාරවල් මැකීගිය විට හැමදා යන ගමන පුරුදු නායක ගවයින් තමන්ට පහසු සම උස ස්ථාන වලින් කැලෑව පීරා ගෙන අවශ්‍ය දෙසට ගමන් කලෝය. පසු පස එන අනිත් ගවයින්ද මේ පාරේම යමින් ගමන් කරති.
මෙසේ කාලයක් ගත වෙන විට තවලම් කණ්ඩායම් වල ගමන් වැඩි වන ප්‍රදේශ වල මාර්ග නැවත කැලෑවෙන් නොවැසි ස්ථිර අඩි පාරක් බවට පත් වෙයි.
පසු කාලවල ගැල් කරත්තද මේ මාර්ග වලම යාම නිසා පාර තවත් පලල් විය.
වර්තමානයේ කාපට් කර සුපිරි වාහන යන තත්වයට සකස් කර පළල වී ඇත්තේ අතීතයේ මේ හරකුන් විසින් ඩිසයින් කරන ලද මාර්ගය.
බොහෝ මහා මාර්ග වල අනවශ්‍ය වංගු ඇතිවී නගර අතර දුර සැහෙන්න වැඩිවී ඇත්තේ මේ නිසාය. ඒවා දැන් කෙලින් කර ගැනීමට නොහැකි ව හරකුන් ගිය පාරේම අපිත් යමින් සිටිමු.

- Explained to me by a civil engineer when I was working in a road construction project.

අලුතින්ම සැදු මාතර අධිවේගී පාර පමණක් කෙලින් දමාගන්න පුළුවන් උනා.
එය සැලසුම් කලේ හරක් නොවන බව මින් ඔප්පු වේ. !

454Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:23 pm

Slstock

Slstock

Read below for your weekend humor ( disregard the obscene words as it is meant as humor )

Extra Extra read all about

---- the duck until exploded
racist park
Deformed Man end place
nic is coming
style of reminiscence with brusquerie and pizzazz

http://www.asia-insider-photos.com/funny-labels.html

http://offbeatchina.com/hilarious-chinese-to-english-translation-a-time-sex-thing-currency-recycle-system-and-dont-touch-yourself

455Stock Market Entertainment - Page 18 Empty Re: Stock Market Entertainment Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:18 pm

SL.Market

SL.Market

No:358

Questions :

10.A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of assassins with loaded guns, and the third is full of lions that haven't eaten in 3 years. Which room is safest for him?
11.A woman shoots her husband. Then she holds him under water for over 5 minutes. Finally, she hangs him. But 5 minutes later they both go out together and enjoy a wonderful dinner together. How can this be?
12.There are two plastic jugs filled with water. How could you put all of this water into a barrel, without using the jugs or any dividers, and still tell which water came from which jug?

Solutions :

10.The third. Lions that haven't eaten in three years are dead.
11.The woman was a photographer. She shot a picture of her husband, developed it, and hung it up to dry.
12.Freeze them first. Take them out of the jugs and put the ice in the barrel. You will be able to tell which water came from which jug.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 22]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum