FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Today at 12:21 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Yesterday at 11:29 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Yesterday at 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

GREG next week

+12
2011_NewComer
FXX
mark
rijayasooriya
econ
wiki
mono
seyon
sajeethk
wiser
Tissa
rivi
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:07 pm

FXX

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

2011_NewComer wrote:FXX - Me toooooooooo Smile

I would love to see it going passing 100. I think it's possible(not due to fundamentals but due to the nature of greg)

At the same time wishing it to go pass 100, want to advice new people not to burn the fingers by buying it at the peak. As mark has mentioned if you want catch the train earlier or just leave it. Smile
as i told in another thread, both of us are in the same boat Very Happy W0003 can make me rich or make me hate GREG i next week, BLUE and GREG use to save me in the past though I love you

Lets hope for the best
rijayasooriya wrote:
seyon wrote:
rijayasooriya wrote:
2011_NewComer wrote:want to advice new people not to burn the fingers by buying it at the peak.

Then who will by it at 100 brother Laughing

There are good people in the Mkt. ( Capital Trust) Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Then I worship them on today(poyaday) I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you

me too my Friend Very Happy

seyon wrote:

Pls share with us, What are the other brokers recommending GREG these days .

SMB Securities

27GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:41 pm

wiki

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

What about DNH stock brokers...

28GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:53 pm

donj91

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Any way hope Greg will move above 100/= as my advisers.

29GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:35 pm

Panduka1988

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

What I said about GREG on Sunday is correct.. Tomorrow It will drop again as follows..

Lowest for tomorrow - 65.00
Highest for tomorrow - 71.00

Decision is with you!
"GREG WILL NOT REACH 100"

30GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:49 pm

donj91

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

It can drop to 65 level, but when the share started to move buying will come then the share will move above 100 very soon.
Remember 11-12 months earlier this went up to 130-140 level.

31GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:50 pm

seyon

Panduka1988 wrote:What I said about GREG on Sunday is correct.. Tomorrow It will drop again as follows..

Lowest for tomorrow - 65.00
Highest for tomorrow - 71.00

Decision is with you!
"GREG WILL NOT REACH 100"

Today price drop mainly due to the quarter results, and panic selling. My guess is that GREG will come out with new investment, since 2.1Bn inflow from foreign investment from the foreign sales and nearly 1.5Bn will be received from CLPL warrant conversion, This availability of fund would be enough to go other investment.

Let us work out fund in hand for the investment

Sale of foreign investment = 2.1Bn
CLPL warrrant conversion = 1.5Bn
Currrent Investment = 150mn ( may be invested in T"Bill)

Deduct GERG portion of CLPL warrant conversion 1Bn

Fund available for the nex investment = 2.7bn

There is rumor that within this month GREG may go for new investment, some deals are on the discussion. further GREG annual report is going to be released by end of this month or early of next month, so there might be some acquisition very soon.

This is not a buy recommendation, just only my views.

32GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:41 pm

dsuranjana

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

GREG is the most speculated share in our market.So difficult to predict the pattern

33GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:11 pm

seyon

There are plenty of rumors about GREG, In near future there will be inflow RS.2 Bn, so there are deals going on

These are the rumors

1st - acquisition of LITE
2nd Looking for finance company to set up Investment banking
3rd setting up venture capital company.

These are the merely rumors, but expected to hear very soon

Any idea u all have....

34GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:50 pm

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

බහින්නේ ඇයි සුදු gregaයෝ
කියන්න පන මාගේ
capital දාල ගියාදෝ
කලම්බු land පස්සේ

35GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:36 am

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya

seyon wrote:

There are good people in the Mkt. ( Capital Trust) Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

පණ වාගේ හිටියාට capitalaයා ගිය දාට
Greg ලෝකයේ මතක ටික කාලයයි
Capitaloyo නුඹ නම් - මට ඇරිය එහෙනම්
ඇයි එහෙම කෙරුවෙ මෙදා //

Greg එකට අත දුන්න Capitalaya කෝ දැන්
කලම්බු ලෑ..න්ඩ් එක පස්සේ ගිහින්
හදවත පැලිලා එන ලේ දහරින්
කඳුලින් සුසුමින් මා මිය යන්නම්
Capitalayo බොට නම් හෙන හතම ගහවි
මට කරපු මේ... දේ...ට //

බොරු advices නුඹ දුන්නේ නැතිනම්
Loss එකට දීලා - පහලින් ගමි
එතකොට මගෙ profita ටිකක් වත් නගී....වි
නුඹ කියුව බොරුවෙන් - මට කෙල උනානේ...
ඇයි එහෙම කෙරු...වෙ මෙදා //

36GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:03 pm

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya

Last day of next week is tomorrow...Shocked

37GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:04 pm

seyon

rijayasooriya wrote:Last day of next week is tomorrow...Shocked

I can see some collection is going on GREG today, I heard there are lot of things happening in the GREG group, Will see next week.

38GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:35 pm

donj91

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

what's happening on GREG. collections have been stop.

39GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:43 pm

wiki

seyon wrote:
rijayasooriya wrote:Last day of next week is tomorrow...Shocked

I can see some collection is going on GREG today, I heard there are lot of things happening in the GREG group, Will see next week.

It seems your are so positive about GREG.. But what will happen if SEC fine them at the end of their investigation.

Last edited by wiki on Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

40GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:46 pm

MJ

Manager - Equity Analytics

I guess we have come to the bottom of it, So to me....nothing more worse can happen to Greg

ps : I donot hold any Greg shares

41GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:53 pm

wiki

MJ wrote:I guess we have come to the bottom of it, So to me....nothing more worse can happen to Greg

ps : I donot hold any Greg shares

but........ will it be stagnant at this level

(i hold GREG)

42GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:44 am

seyon

Interview: ERI directors discuss strategy

Environmental Resources Investments (ERI) is forecasting it will raise up to 44 billion rupees new equity in the next five years to acquire Sri Lankan business and buy a British Virgin Islands based investment firm.

A rights issue this month and six warrants, allowing holders to buy shares at set prices in the future, will be used to raise the new equity.

Two of ERI’s directors Kosala Heengama and Gregory Newsome, the main promoters of the firm here, were interviewed by LBR’s Shamindra Kulamannage recently.

Edited excerpts….

Q: Where will you invest the money you are raising through a rights issue?

Heengama: Any sector that makes sense, manufacturing or any other sector.

Q: How much money will you raise if everybody takes up the rights?

Heengama: About 2 billion in the rights, in the ordinary shares and subsequent warrants.

Q: Those warrants come in later years?

Heengama: Yes because warrants are options for people to take on at certain times. So when exercisable people can take up those warrants based on the company’s performance.

Q: Will Lionhart, your major shareholder, take up the rights?

Heengama: We are hopeful they will take up all the rights because up to now whatever rights we have done they have taken.

Q: Have they given you an assurance, because that is the bulk of it, they hold 93-percent of equity?

Heengama: Yes, this is a good chance for them to come and invest in Sri Lanka. So they say, as long as things improve in the country, if favorable investment opportunities exist in the country then they will invest and we are hopeful.

Q: How did you come to the picture?

Heengama: We knew Lionhart and they are an investment company and we invited them to invest in Sri Lanka.

Q: If you look at Lionhart’s portfolio, is there any trend which you see in the sort of companies they invest in?

Heengama: The investment strategy is based on the ERI board decision. The strategy is not based on the major shareholder. ERI is looking for sick companies, good branded Sri Lankan companies that we see potential for growth, potential for better results with restructuring.

Q: So you would be like a private equity firm?

Heengama: I’d say more like a venture capital firm.

Q: People are curious about, ERL which is a British Virgin Islands company that you have agreed to buy. What can you tell us about ERL?

Heengama: ERL is also an investment company. Majority of the funds will be invested in Sri Lanka and a smaller portion will be invested to buy ERL. It gives the opportunity for a Sri Lankan company to own foreign assets.

Presently ERL owns Eastern Platinum shares, 24 million shares, and also few other private investments. So once we have this structure is in place, we can locally as well as globally do some purchases that will also bring a little bit of balance to Sri Lankan investments.

So basically, Sri Lankans who own ERI will have an indirect opportunity to own foreign assets.

Q: Are all ERL shares going to be purchased by ERI?

Heengama: We have signed an agreement to purchase 100-pct, we haven’t purchased it yet, a payment hasn’t gone yet, we will be doing it pretty soon.

Q: Have you agreed on a price?

Heengama: We got exchange control approval to pay out up to 76 million dollars. But we will do an independent valuation and based on the valuation we’ll pay up to 76 million or less for 100-pct of the company.

Q: Who owns ERL right now?

Heengama: It is owned by major shareholders. They own it through a trust or something, it is a related party transaction but the whole purpose of acquiring ERL is to get the structure in place where we can have access to foreign investments. But what needs to be understood is that a major part of that investment is coming to Sri Lanka.

Q: Why do you do this transfer, because right now Lionhart controls ERL, and if they transfer the ownership to you they will still fully control ERL. Why do this?

Heengama: It is an investment strategy we proposed to them. It’s good to have an investment company in Sri Lanka which invests in Sri Lanka, plus has investments outside the place and it also gives balance in investments. Similar to when Sri Lanka had a bad time in tourism and lots of Sri Lankan hoteliers invested in the Maldives.

Q: But in Lionhart’s point of view, this won’t make much difference whether they own the firm through Sri Lanka or not?

Heengama: Yes it doesn’t make much of a difference but it gives a really good structure for the Sri Lankan investment company.

Q: So by bringing funds here you will have to convert them in to rupees, so then you are taking on an forex risk?

Heengama: Yes, but it’s a short term FX risk, this is not a short term play, we are here for the long term.

Q: ERL is investing in platinum mines. Tell us a bit about its business?

Heengama: It’s mainly a portfolio company. It doesn’t have operations except for holding shares. Right now the major proportion are listed shares in Eastern Platinum and others are two guaranteed bonds. That we will keep on investing in the commodity sector. So there is a unique investment opportunity that no other company has in Sri Lanka.

Q: East Plats is a listed company, so you should be able to value these investments you have there?

Heengama: Yes you can, it’s 24 million shares into whatever the traded price, right now its 1.40 Canadian dollars.

Q: So you have this and you have two debentures. Tell me about them?

Heengama: They are First Platinum, two debentures.

Q: Roughly what do you think they are worth?

Heengama: If you have the rights issue document it says what each one is worth.

Q: Basically Central Bank has cleared you to buy at 76 million dollars or less 100-pct of ERL with whatever money which you are bringing from outside the country, not what you are raising here. I’m struggling to understand why you are doing this, why bring it through Sri Lanka?

Heengama: Why wouldn’t you?

That’s the structure we have. If you have a paper manufacturing company you can’t do paper manufacturing everyday you have to come up with something unique. It gives Sri Lankan shareholders the opportunity to own foreign assets which will bring more value to the company. But majority of the funds will be here. It will give foreign exchange stability and also it will attract foreign investors who follow Eastern Platinum. It is traded in three to four countries. Canada, Johannesburg, Europe, likewise. So people who know these stocks will follow to Sri Lanka.

Maybe very few foreign investors know what’s going on in Sri Lanka. Our intention is to bring more exposure to the country by bringing known stocks.

Q: I’m asking this because people will be curious as to why you are doing this here?

Heengama: People will understand this structure as we move on, we just started investing. So it’s a good opportunity to invest because the war is over therefore lots of foreigners and investors are looking at Sri Lanka, and you probably reported on this; Morbius and other big investors are coming to Sri Lanka. So this is a very good opportunity and we already have an instrument which is restructured to invest. For one and a half years we were waiting for these investors to come in and trade. And we’ve got a really good positive sign that investors are willing to put up cash.

Q: Some analysts are concerned about the origin of the money that is coming?

Heengama: That is managed by Central Bank, so if Central Bank clears it there is no issue and that’s part of the regulation. Most of the time North America and European companies are anyway monitored. So sources of funds are well regulated and they have not found anything wrong with the funds. If we start questioning every fund that comes in, go through all the investors in foreign funds….? Obviously for one and a half years we were talking to Central Bank to get the approval and they definitely went through A to Z of it.

Q: What’s the expertise ERI has in investing in platinum or in commodities?

Heengama: We do have another gentlemen on our board, his name is Gregory Newsome he is a financial expert. He is aware about commodities. You see the price movements of oil and other commodities why wouldn’t you get into the bandwagon? Anybody would. So we believe that we have the expertise and we will get the expertise needed.

Q: How did you come to do what you are doing now?

Heengama: With the work which we have done, I have come to know a few investors.

Q: Your father is the chairman of this firm. Did he get involved with this from the beginning?

Heengama: Yes he and other board directors got involved in the last couple of years. Investors were brought in by me and the other director Scott Newsome and we explained to the board. The board is experienced, H B Dissanayake being a former governor of the Central Bank and he has also worked for IMF, he has regulatory experience. One of the other directors is Gamini Munasinghe, a former Sri Lankan ambassador to South Africa and Bangladesh, which is a really good thing for the company because ERL is dealing with commodities in South Africa. So that expertise is most valuable for the company. Scott Nielson is a financial engineer and brings expertise in managing and restructuring businesses.

Q: If you do raise the entirety of the rights which around 2 billion rupees in the first round and your purchase price for these assets could be as high as US$ 76 million, then there is a large gap there. What’s your plan for that?

Heengama: So that’s why we have these warrants coming due as and when money is raised we pay a portion of that to the company.

Q: You will use the 20 million dollars you raise here?

Heengama: We can’t use the whole 20 million dollars only a portion. Only 38-pct of the money that comes in to the country. 62-pct will remain in the country for investment.

Q: If you raise 20 million dollars through rights and invest only 38-pct of the foreign funding that comes, that’s not much?

Heengama: It’s about six million dollars.

Q: You have 76 million exchange control clearance to buy this, how much is ERL worth?

Heengama: It is worth 76 million dollars according to their December accounts, and the ERL share has increased from 40 cents to 140 cents right now.

Shares are lodged in Deutsche Bank Colombo; the ERL shares. They have a structure through Singapore. Now it’s in the process of transferring, we have decided to purchase. Its form a Singapore company but Deutsche Bank Colombo manages these Eastern Platinum shares.

Deutsche Bank Colombo is giving us the statements. It’s the first time in Sri Lanka that we have done this, which gives extra comfort.

Q: You won’t get the entirety of the asset, only part of it?

Heengama: Because we haven’t paid for it. We have to pay for it.

Q: Scott why are you going this complex transaction to buy ERL?

Newsome: Initially it was going to be a share swap. We took over Walker and Grieg and the idea was to share swap ERL-British Virgin Islands for ERI. But unfortunately it couldn’t happen, they wouldn’t allow.

We didn’t give up and then we asked our selves, “what will work?” and the only thing we found was we had to go back to what was working at the time. The only way we can do this was based on the laws without any kind of objections was it had to be a capital infusion via a rights issue.

Q: Why go through all this to bring the funds in when you could have set up an investment company here and bring in funds directly?

Newsome: We got them (Lionhart Investments) committed to investing via Sri Lanka and we wanted to keep the investor interested in Sri Lanka. If we structured it separately they could have just done the ERL purchase in a separate private equity fund, and then they are gone. What’s the benefit of the company?

They already had an investment vehicle, former Walker and Grieg, and they liked the opportunities that exist in Sri Lanka, why not fold them together? There are institutional as well as very high net worth individuals.

Q: Can you tell me about Lionhart?

Newsome: I believe they are controlling three billion dollars AUM (assets under management). They are classified as a hedge fund. They never had any kind of issues with the FSA (UK financial regulator).

Q: Why the interest in platinum?

Newsome: It’s about timing. We time and things fall into place for the company very nicely. With the war being over, it just lined up very nicely for Lionhart to commit.

If you look at the timing of platinum and commodity prices, commodity prices have crashed. Gold prices have come back. Now what’s lagging? Platinum, palladium and rhodium, those prices have not come back because of depressed industries. The industries that use these metals have been depressed. The auto industry is number one.

There is also the illiquidity factor in trading platinum. That improved in January 2010. The US market was the largest market in the world that has not had an Electronic Trading Fund (ETF) to trade platinum. It had an ETF to trade gold, copper, silver but nothing to trade platinum. It’s been traded in Europe for years. But in January it started trading platinum. Liquidity has increased tremendously. If you look at the TMX web site one of the company’s that has been added to precious metals index is Eastern Platinum. It was added just last week and the day after they announced record trading volumes, 15 million shares traded. Normally they trade between 5 and 10 million shares.

Platinum has always been twice as the amount of gold. In the last 20 years platinum prices have been twice the amount o gold. But they actually converged, and at one point gold and platinum were literally the same price at the height of depression. Now they’ve started their divergence again, to get back into norms. But they are still not there. Gold has accelerated and platinum has not outpaced gold. Industries using platinum are now picking up and the liquidity function is now being sorted. So, what will happen now is, with current levels of trading the prices should go back to the normal levels. If you look at where platinum is trading at and where gold is trading at its no where close. Platinum is 1600 dollars an ounce, no where near double.

Heengama: We are planning to have an investor forum once we have the capital. It’s better to raise the capital and have a path. So five years down the line we know how much money we are going to raise and also there will be an instrument for people to invest, warrants will come and they can take that to invest.

Newsome: A lot of difficulty for investment holding companies is raising capital we’ve sorted that out for the next five years.

Q: How much of the capital will come in the next few years?

Newsome: We’ll have another tranch. We did one in August, that was 18 million dollars, then we are doing one for April, that’s another 18 million. Then we have a warrant due in June which is almost 20 million and then June 2011 that’s another 22 million. And then if you look at April 2012 it’s about 105 million dollars. That’s done.

So come April 2012 ERL is paid off and we now have a lot of extra cash to do a lot of I think fun and exciting things.

Our investment approach is based on the market environment. Right now there are a considerable number of sick companies. We can help out the sick companies as well as bring them onto our fold. But maybe in two years there will not be many sick companies, then we’ll have to invest in healthier companies that have nice balance sheets and nice cash flow. Then it becomes more value investment as opposed to helping sick companies and helping them.

http://www.lbr.lk/fullstory.php?nid=201004011612118000

43GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:42 pm

wiki

seyon wrote:Interview: ERI directors discuss strategy

Environmental Resources Investments (ERI) is forecasting it will raise up to 44 billion rupees new equity in the next five years to acquire Sri Lankan business and buy a British Virgin Islands based investment firm.

A rights issue this month and six warrants, allowing holders to buy shares at set prices in the future, will be used to raise the new equity.

Two of ERI’s directors Kosala Heengama and Gregory Newsome, the main promoters of the firm here, were interviewed by LBR’s Shamindra Kulamannage recently.

Edited excerpts….

Q: Where will you invest the money you are raising through a rights issue?

Heengama: Any sector that makes sense, manufacturing or any other sector.

Q: How much money will you raise if everybody takes up the rights?

Heengama: About 2 billion in the rights, in the ordinary shares and subsequent warrants.

Q: Those warrants come in later years?

Heengama: Yes because warrants are options for people to take on at certain times. So when exercisable people can take up those warrants based on the company’s performance.

Q: Will Lionhart, your major shareholder, take up the rights?

Heengama: We are hopeful they will take up all the rights because up to now whatever rights we have done they have taken.

Q: Have they given you an assurance, because that is the bulk of it, they hold 93-percent of equity?

Heengama: Yes, this is a good chance for them to come and invest in Sri Lanka. So they say, as long as things improve in the country, if favorable investment opportunities exist in the country then they will invest and we are hopeful.

Q: How did you come to the picture?

Heengama: We knew Lionhart and they are an investment company and we invited them to invest in Sri Lanka.

Q: If you look at Lionhart’s portfolio, is there any trend which you see in the sort of companies they invest in?

Heengama: The investment strategy is based on the ERI board decision. The strategy is not based on the major shareholder. ERI is looking for sick companies, good branded Sri Lankan companies that we see potential for growth, potential for better results with restructuring.

Q: So you would be like a private equity firm?

Heengama: I’d say more like a venture capital firm.

Q: People are curious about, ERL which is a British Virgin Islands company that you have agreed to buy. What can you tell us about ERL?

Heengama: ERL is also an investment company. Majority of the funds will be invested in Sri Lanka and a smaller portion will be invested to buy ERL. It gives the opportunity for a Sri Lankan company to own foreign assets.

Presently ERL owns Eastern Platinum shares, 24 million shares, and also few other private investments. So once we have this structure is in place, we can locally as well as globally do some purchases that will also bring a little bit of balance to Sri Lankan investments.

So basically, Sri Lankans who own ERI will have an indirect opportunity to own foreign assets.

Q: Are all ERL shares going to be purchased by ERI?

Heengama: We have signed an agreement to purchase 100-pct, we haven’t purchased it yet, a payment hasn’t gone yet, we will be doing it pretty soon.

Q: Have you agreed on a price?

Heengama: We got exchange control approval to pay out up to 76 million dollars. But we will do an independent valuation and based on the valuation we’ll pay up to 76 million or less for 100-pct of the company.

Q: Who owns ERL right now?

Heengama: It is owned by major shareholders. They own it through a trust or something, it is a related party transaction but the whole purpose of acquiring ERL is to get the structure in place where we can have access to foreign investments. But what needs to be understood is that a major part of that investment is coming to Sri Lanka.

Q: Why do you do this transfer, because right now Lionhart controls ERL, and if they transfer the ownership to you they will still fully control ERL. Why do this?

Heengama: It is an investment strategy we proposed to them. It’s good to have an investment company in Sri Lanka which invests in Sri Lanka, plus has investments outside the place and it also gives balance in investments. Similar to when Sri Lanka had a bad time in tourism and lots of Sri Lankan hoteliers invested in the Maldives.

Q: But in Lionhart’s point of view, this won’t make much difference whether they own the firm through Sri Lanka or not?

Heengama: Yes it doesn’t make much of a difference but it gives a really good structure for the Sri Lankan investment company.

Q: So by bringing funds here you will have to convert them in to rupees, so then you are taking on an forex risk?

Heengama: Yes, but it’s a short term FX risk, this is not a short term play, we are here for the long term.

Q: ERL is investing in platinum mines. Tell us a bit about its business?

Heengama: It’s mainly a portfolio company. It doesn’t have operations except for holding shares. Right now the major proportion are listed shares in Eastern Platinum and others are two guaranteed bonds. That we will keep on investing in the commodity sector. So there is a unique investment opportunity that no other company has in Sri Lanka.

Q: East Plats is a listed company, so you should be able to value these investments you have there?

Heengama: Yes you can, it’s 24 million shares into whatever the traded price, right now its 1.40 Canadian dollars.

Q: So you have this and you have two debentures. Tell me about them?

Heengama: They are First Platinum, two debentures.

Q: Roughly what do you think they are worth?

Heengama: If you have the rights issue document it says what each one is worth.

Q: Basically Central Bank has cleared you to buy at 76 million dollars or less 100-pct of ERL with whatever money which you are bringing from outside the country, not what you are raising here. I’m struggling to understand why you are doing this, why bring it through Sri Lanka?

Heengama: Why wouldn’t you?

That’s the structure we have. If you have a paper manufacturing company you can’t do paper manufacturing everyday you have to come up with something unique. It gives Sri Lankan shareholders the opportunity to own foreign assets which will bring more value to the company. But majority of the funds will be here. It will give foreign exchange stability and also it will attract foreign investors who follow Eastern Platinum. It is traded in three to four countries. Canada, Johannesburg, Europe, likewise. So people who know these stocks will follow to Sri Lanka.

Maybe very few foreign investors know what’s going on in Sri Lanka. Our intention is to bring more exposure to the country by bringing known stocks.

Q: I’m asking this because people will be curious as to why you are doing this here?

Heengama: People will understand this structure as we move on, we just started investing. So it’s a good opportunity to invest because the war is over therefore lots of foreigners and investors are looking at Sri Lanka, and you probably reported on this; Morbius and other big investors are coming to Sri Lanka. So this is a very good opportunity and we already have an instrument which is restructured to invest. For one and a half years we were waiting for these investors to come in and trade. And we’ve got a really good positive sign that investors are willing to put up cash.

Q: Some analysts are concerned about the origin of the money that is coming?

Heengama: That is managed by Central Bank, so if Central Bank clears it there is no issue and that’s part of the regulation. Most of the time North America and European companies are anyway monitored. So sources of funds are well regulated and they have not found anything wrong with the funds. If we start questioning every fund that comes in, go through all the investors in foreign funds….? Obviously for one and a half years we were talking to Central Bank to get the approval and they definitely went through A to Z of it.

Q: What’s the expertise ERI has in investing in platinum or in commodities?

Heengama: We do have another gentlemen on our board, his name is Gregory Newsome he is a financial expert. He is aware about commodities. You see the price movements of oil and other commodities why wouldn’t you get into the bandwagon? Anybody would. So we believe that we have the expertise and we will get the expertise needed.

Q: How did you come to do what you are doing now?

Heengama: With the work which we have done, I have come to know a few investors.

Q: Your father is the chairman of this firm. Did he get involved with this from the beginning?

Heengama: Yes he and other board directors got involved in the last couple of years. Investors were brought in by me and the other director Scott Newsome and we explained to the board. The board is experienced, H B Dissanayake being a former governor of the Central Bank and he has also worked for IMF, he has regulatory experience. One of the other directors is Gamini Munasinghe, a former Sri Lankan ambassador to South Africa and Bangladesh, which is a really good thing for the company because ERL is dealing with commodities in South Africa. So that expertise is most valuable for the company. Scott Nielson is a financial engineer and brings expertise in managing and restructuring businesses.

Q: If you do raise the entirety of the rights which around 2 billion rupees in the first round and your purchase price for these assets could be as high as US$ 76 million, then there is a large gap there. What’s your plan for that?

Heengama: So that’s why we have these warrants coming due as and when money is raised we pay a portion of that to the company.

Q: You will use the 20 million dollars you raise here?

Heengama: We can’t use the whole 20 million dollars only a portion. Only 38-pct of the money that comes in to the country. 62-pct will remain in the country for investment.

Q: If you raise 20 million dollars through rights and invest only 38-pct of the foreign funding that comes, that’s not much?

Heengama: It’s about six million dollars.

Q: You have 76 million exchange control clearance to buy this, how much is ERL worth?

Heengama: It is worth 76 million dollars according to their December accounts, and the ERL share has increased from 40 cents to 140 cents right now.

Shares are lodged in Deutsche Bank Colombo; the ERL shares. They have a structure through Singapore. Now it’s in the process of transferring, we have decided to purchase. Its form a Singapore company but Deutsche Bank Colombo manages these Eastern Platinum shares.

Deutsche Bank Colombo is giving us the statements. It’s the first time in Sri Lanka that we have done this, which gives extra comfort.

Q: You won’t get the entirety of the asset, only part of it?

Heengama: Because we haven’t paid for it. We have to pay for it.

Q: Scott why are you going this complex transaction to buy ERL?

Newsome: Initially it was going to be a share swap. We took over Walker and Grieg and the idea was to share swap ERL-British Virgin Islands for ERI. But unfortunately it couldn’t happen, they wouldn’t allow.

We didn’t give up and then we asked our selves, “what will work?” and the only thing we found was we had to go back to what was working at the time. The only way we can do this was based on the laws without any kind of objections was it had to be a capital infusion via a rights issue.

Q: Why go through all this to bring the funds in when you could have set up an investment company here and bring in funds directly?

Newsome: We got them (Lionhart Investments) committed to investing via Sri Lanka and we wanted to keep the investor interested in Sri Lanka. If we structured it separately they could have just done the ERL purchase in a separate private equity fund, and then they are gone. What’s the benefit of the company?

They already had an investment vehicle, former Walker and Grieg, and they liked the opportunities that exist in Sri Lanka, why not fold them together? There are institutional as well as very high net worth individuals.

Q: Can you tell me about Lionhart?

Newsome: I believe they are controlling three billion dollars AUM (assets under management). They are classified as a hedge fund. They never had any kind of issues with the FSA (UK financial regulator).

Q: Why the interest in platinum?

Newsome: It’s about timing. We time and things fall into place for the company very nicely. With the war being over, it just lined up very nicely for Lionhart to commit.

If you look at the timing of platinum and commodity prices, commodity prices have crashed. Gold prices have come back. Now what’s lagging? Platinum, palladium and rhodium, those prices have not come back because of depressed industries. The industries that use these metals have been depressed. The auto industry is number one.

There is also the illiquidity factor in trading platinum. That improved in January 2010. The US market was the largest market in the world that has not had an Electronic Trading Fund (ETF) to trade platinum. It had an ETF to trade gold, copper, silver but nothing to trade platinum. It’s been traded in Europe for years. But in January it started trading platinum. Liquidity has increased tremendously. If you look at the TMX web site one of the company’s that has been added to precious metals index is Eastern Platinum. It was added just last week and the day after they announced record trading volumes, 15 million shares traded. Normally they trade between 5 and 10 million shares.

Platinum has always been twice as the amount of gold. In the last 20 years platinum prices have been twice the amount o gold. But they actually converged, and at one point gold and platinum were literally the same price at the height of depression. Now they’ve started their divergence again, to get back into norms. But they are still not there. Gold has accelerated and platinum has not outpaced gold. Industries using platinum are now picking up and the liquidity function is now being sorted. So, what will happen now is, with current levels of trading the prices should go back to the normal levels. If you look at where platinum is trading at and where gold is trading at its no where close. Platinum is 1600 dollars an ounce, no where near double.

Heengama: We are planning to have an investor forum once we have the capital. It’s better to raise the capital and have a path. So five years down the line we know how much money we are going to raise and also there will be an instrument for people to invest, warrants will come and they can take that to invest.

Newsome: A lot of difficulty for investment holding companies is raising capital we’ve sorted that out for the next five years.

Q: How much of the capital will come in the next few years?

Newsome: We’ll have another tranch. We did one in August, that was 18 million dollars, then we are doing one for April, that’s another 18 million. Then we have a warrant due in June which is almost 20 million and then June 2011 that’s another 22 million. And then if you look at April 2012 it’s about 105 million dollars. That’s done.

So come April 2012 ERL is paid off and we now have a lot of extra cash to do a lot of I think fun and exciting things.

Our investment approach is based on the market environment. Right now there are a considerable number of sick companies. We can help out the sick companies as well as bring them onto our fold. But maybe in two years there will not be many sick companies, then we’ll have to invest in healthier companies that have nice balance sheets and nice cash flow. Then it becomes more value investment as opposed to helping sick companies and helping them.

http://www.lbr.lk/fullstory.php?nid=201004011612118000

this is bit old article.. These things are known to people since 2010.. so what is new?

They have sold the ERL too (hope that capital will bring to CSE ) http://cse.lk/cmt/upload_cse_announcements/9971313065036_.pdf

But my concern is if SEC fine GREG.. what is the effect

44GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:01 pm

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya

According to my broker(capital trust) there is only around 3mn fine.So there can not be a serious effect.

45GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:46 am

seyon

wiki wrote:

this is bit old article.. These things are known to people since 2010.. so what is new?

They have sold the ERL too (hope that capital will bring to CSE ) http://cse.lk/cmt/upload_cse_announcements/9971313065036_.pdf

But my concern is if SEC fine GREG.. what is the effect

Yes this is the old one, When i study the GREG, I came across this.

I haven"t heard about this fine, my understanding is SEC questioned the company regarding the investments made by its associate company in BVI for the transparent of information and then GREG has asked for a letter clearing them from this issue from SEC.

Now this particular investment had been sold and cash is about to inflow to Sri Lanka by next week, So GREG will be cleared from SEC investigation end of next week. This fund would be used to subscribe the CLPL warrant conversion ( I think GREG may have to subscribe the whole warrant, since the warrant exercise price is higher the current ordinary share price), then through the GREG and CLPL, there will be acquisition of another sick company Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

46GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:06 am

wiki

There is buzz of fine.. dont no exactly.
Usually at the end of any investigation, result can be favor of accuse or against.

But i hope it will not dip further in worst case scenario

47GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:48 am

seyon

wiki wrote:There is buzz of fine.. dont no exactly.
Usually at the end of any investigation, result can be favor of accuse or against.

But i hope it will not dip further in worst case scenario

Ok thanks wiki, this level would be lowest, They should have to come out with acquisition in short. will see

48GREG next week - Page 2 Empty Re: GREG next week Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:33 pm

MJ

Greg has been a Merket frontier for a considerable period during last couple of years!!! and has been silent now for almost over 7-8 months.

I gues that Greg TEAM would do everything possible to get the OLD TRAIN UP AND RUNNING.

" Speculative " being the nature of Greg, It would be no surprise to anybody if it starts running in near future !!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum